These muffins are my latest pre-workout snack of choice. I tend to like to workout first thing in the morning, and the promise of chocolate is often the thing that actually gets me out of bed and to my workout.
Chocolate is kind of magic that way.
They are full of healthy things. Like pumpkin. Which is a vegetable.
And peanut butter. Which just tastes good.
And yeah, did I mention chocolate?
I love them and hope you will too.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease a mini-muffin tin.
Assemble your ingredients:
- 3/4 cup pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter, but you can use any kind you like)
- 6 tablespoons honey (I have cut this down to 3T because 6 is too sweet, but you can play around with what works best for you)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate or peanut butter chips
Put all ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, into a mixing bowl and mix until smooth.Fold in the chips and mix by hand. A note about the chocolate chip thing. You can leave them out if you want. You can also add a few more to the top of each muffin once the batter is in the tin. It’s totally up to you.
Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full and bake for 9-13 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Let them cool for about 10 minutes in the pan and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.